Appeal Expected In Devin Morningstar Case

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:13 PM

19 year old Devin Morningstar , who was convicted of first degree murder in the death of 18 year old Baylee Wylie, was sentenced in Moncton Court this morning.

 With the first degree murder conviction comes a sentence of life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Morningstar was also convicted of arson with disregard for human life.  He received a three year sentence that will be served concurrently.

Morningstar's mother Tina says it was expected, but still difficult, "It was very hard to sit through.  We are appealing, and we are hopeful for that.  We could not file until sentencing.  There has been some review that has taken place, but that is it so far.  All of the facts have not come out yet.  Hearing people say they still don't understand why it happened, that's because the truth has not come out yet.  I don't know if it will or not."

She has spoken to her son, and Devin has told her he is a little down right now, "He has kept his spirits up, but he knows he is going to federal prison and he is a little scared because he is young and small."

Morningstar's mother moved to New Brunswick from Alberta, "I moved here to work on the appeal and I'll be here until after it is over.  Devin knows his family is behind him 100 per cent."

Devin Morningstar's sentence also carries a mandatory ban on firearms for life and Morningstar must add his DNA to a registry.

During the sentencing, one victim impact statement was read by Angela Wylie, Baylee's Aunt.  She said, "I've  almost forgotten how to live. This has stolen my stability, health and years will pass before the full toll is measured." 

Amanda Wylie, Baylee's mother also submitted a victim impact statement, but she did not want to read it in court.


Two others are also facing first degree murder and arson charges in the death of Baylee Wylie.  Tyler Noel will stand trial in October.  A trial for Marissa Shephard has not been scheduled yet.

Wylie was killed just days before Christmas in 2015.  His body was found after a fire in a home on Sumac Street in Moncton.