The City of Moncton has issued a Boil Water Advisory following a major water main break tonight.
This is being done as a precautionary measure. Several businesses closed their doors earlier today, after they were left without water, as repairs were ongoing. The Moncton Miracles were forced to cancel their game against the Orangeville A's at the Moncton Coliseum due to the water Main break.
The City of Moncton has issued this list of do's and don't's during a boil water advisory.
· Do not drink the water without boiling it first. Bring water to a boil, hold water at a rolling boil for at least one minute, and then let it cool prior to using. Water which has been properly boiled is considered a safe source of water.
· Any water that is to be ingested or used for drinking, preparing food, making hot and cold beverages, making ice cubes, washing fruits and vegetables, and brushing teeth should be boiled. This is particularly important for those whose immune systems are compromised
· Contaminated water may cause illness in humans, including diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches, or other symptoms. Contamination of water, however, is not the only cause of these symptoms. If you experience any of these symptoms, and they persist, you may want to seek medical advice.
· The water is safe for showering and bathing.
· Hands can continue to be washed using tap water and a proper handwashing technique that includes rubbing all parts of the hands with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds.
· Laundry may be washed in tap water, either by hand or by machine.
· Dishes may be washed by hand in hot, soapy water, and left to air dry. It is safe to use a dishwasher.
· Users may experience discoloured water or air in their plumbing systems. Residents who completely lose water pressure should turn off the circuit breaker for their hot water heaters to prevent damage to the heating
The City of Moncton is evaluating all available information, and is working with the Department of Health. Testing will continue over the next 72 hours. An advisory will be issued when the boil water advisory is lifted.